If you are a mid-career professional in an established role, don’t be surprised if you face a little resistance to changing careers!
The 10 elements below might prevent you from pursuing a calling and ending any frustration you might feel with your current role.
Some common challenges include:
10 ways you are held back from changing careers
- Fear of the unknown: Many people are hesitant to make a career change because they are afraid of the unknown. They may need clarification on what the future holds, or how they will adapt to a new job or industry.
- Fear of failure: Some people may be afraid to pursue their true calling because they are afraid of failing. They may worry about not being able to succeed or make a living in their chosen field.
- Fear of loss of identity – Those with established careers with status and recognition may feel anxious about stepping away from their status to start again in a new field.
- Fear of change: Some people may continue in a career that is not their true calling because they fear stepping outside their comfort zone. They are comfortable and familiar with their current job and do not want to take the risk of starting over in a new field.
- Lack of confidence: Some people may lack the confidence to make a career change, especially if they have been in their current job for a long time and feel uncertain about their skills and abilities.
- Limited options: Some people may have limited options when it comes to exploring a career change, especially if they do not have the necessary skills, education, or experience.
- Lack of support: Some people may be held back from making a career change because they do not have the support of their friends, family, or colleagues.
- Family Obligations: Some people may feel like they have to continue in a career that is not their true calling in order to support their family
- Financial constraints: Financial constraints may be a major barrier to making a career change for some people. They may be concerned about how they will support themselves or their family while they transition to a new job.
- Ageism: Some people may be hesitant to make a career change because they are concerned about age discrimination. They may feel like they are too old to start over in a new field.
Are any of these 10 elements ringing true for you?
I’ll explore tackling these 10 ways you are held back from changing careers and going after what you were REALLY meant to do in future blog posts.
Image credit https://flickr.com/photos/taymtaym/9734800916